A coalition has been formed following a Strategic Planning Workshop held in Kuantan, Pahang on the 24 September 2011. The coalition comprising various groups of NGOs, NGIs, Political Parties, Malaysia Medical Association, the Pahang Bar Council, Malaysia Civil Liberty Movement and various interest group had resolved to get together forming the "STOP LYNAS COALITION".
The group is determined to stop the operation of the Australian Mining company, Lynas Corporation which is to operate the Lynas Advanced Material Plant (LAMP) a toxic rare earth refinery in the location of Gebeng, Kuantan in the state of Pahang, Malaysia.
The RM700 million Lynas plant is expected to be operational by end of the year will produce 20,000 tons of radioactive waste a year.
The Stop Lynas Coalition fears that this would be a monumental environmental disaster and a toxic health hazard for the local community and the country at large as the waste would pollute the earth and waters in the surrounding location.
The Stop Lynas Coalition comprises of the following groups:
1. Kuantan Concern Citizen (KCC)
2. Badan Bertindak Anti Rare Earth Refinery (BADAR)
3. Save Malaysia Stop Lynas (SMSL)
4. Gelombang Hijau
5. Malaysia Medical Association (MMA)
6. Pahang Bar Council
7. The People's Green Coalition
8. Consumer Association Penang (CAP)
9. Sahabat Alam Malaysia (SAM)
10. Malaysian Civil Liberties Movement (MCLM)
11. Penang Residents' Welfare and Education Association (PRWEA)
12. Kean Tao Baptist Church Kuantan
13. Pastor English Team Kuantan
14. Kuantan Environmental Watch Group
15. Cyber Research Team of Kuantan MP YB Fuziah Salleh
16. PKR Kuantan
17. PKR Indera Mahkota
18. PAS Indera Mahkota
Watch the Video of the Stop Lynas Coalition Press Conference: